First things first, we need to support the immune system. The best way to do this is through a combination of herbs and vitamins that strengthen our natural immunity, while assisting in killing bacteria, viruses and fungi. These natural ingredients include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Olive Leaf
- Medicinal Mushrooms including shiitake and reiishi
- Probiotics specific for supporting immunity including Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus paracasei
- Natural cough mixtures containing ivy, pelargonium, thyme, elder, licorice and echinacea.
Here at Burleigh Amcal Health Foods, we have a great range of these items, in combinations for adults and kids alike. Come in Monday to Friday to speak with our naturopath Rhianna, or Jess our fantastic vitamins consultant.
- Don’t suppress every fever- fevers are your body’s way of frying all the bad bacteria and viruses that are making you sick. It is a healing reaction, not something you need to stop. Keep an eye on your temperature, but a fever of 40 degrees is safe for adults to endure. This is not the case with children as fitting can occur above 40 degrees and measures need to be taken to lower this temperature in children.
- Have a good sweat. Carrying on from our previous point, one of the best ways to allow your body to kick and illness is to avoid paracetamol and ibuprofen, rug up and have a good night sweat.
- Avoid food that worsen illness. Items that contain a lot of sugar, alcohol or caffeine (eg coffee), will supress the immune system and make its job more difficult.
- Avoid mucous forming foods if you have a blocked nose or chesty cough. These foods include dairy products (milk, cheese, yoghurt, ice cream) and bananas.
- Eat lots of fresh, clean food, including plenty of fresh garlic (raw if you can swallow it!).
- Try to get lots of rest. If you can, take the day off work and rest. Go to bed early and get a good sleep. Don’t push your body through a sickness, that will only drag it out longer.
- Get some sun! Vitamin D is vital for a healthy immune system, and winter sees us spending more time indoors. Vitamin D levels can be supported through supplementation or by making sure you get some sun regularly. I take my lunch break in the sun daily, weather permitting.
If you have been suffering from a winter illness for longer than 2 weeks, our Naturopath Rhianna is available by appointment for one-on-one consultations. For those working with children or with sick people, or even just those suffering from every cold and flu that comes along, Rhianna can help you build your immune system back up to be fighting fit. Call our store today to book your consultation! Private Health rebates available.