Originally made in Finland and now available all over the world, the Menstrual Cup is an easy-to-use, safe, and clean alternative to pads and tampons. Conventional pads and tampons contain a cocktail of chemicals, bleaches and even deodorisers which can harm the delicate balance of the vagina. We have a whole host of good bacteria there which keeps our vaginas healthy, so disrupting this ecosystem with chemicals can lead to problems such as Candida infections (thrush, urinary tract infections, increased pain during menstruation or intercourse and decreased lubrication and natural immunity. With tampons, fibers can be caught in the vaginal canal upon removal and its absorbency can dry out the mucous membrane. Pads create a stifling, moist environment that is a breeding ground for yeast, bacteria and odour. Ever organic cotton pads and tampons will alter the pH and bacterial composition of the vagina, encouraging the problems above. The collected blood sits against the skin for hours, providing an environment where harmful bacteria are more likely to grow.
Menstrual cups are made of medical-grade silicone, a non-friendly environment for bacteria. They come in 2 sizes, one for a lighter flow or for women who have not had children vaginally, and the second for a heavier flow, or those who have given birth vaginally. They are an easy-to-use, safe, and hygienic alternative to pads and tampons and can last for up to 5 years. They help to save the planet, by cutting down on waste- 5 years worth of pads and tampons! Not to mention the money you save.
The benefits below have been taken from the Lunette website, one of the leading Menstrual Cup brands. Other brands include Luna Cups, Moon Cups, JuJu Cups and Diva Cups.
All menstrual cups are:
- hypoallergenic, latex-free, odourless, and safe
- affordable and environmentally friendly – with proper care it will last for years
- a sanitary and healthy alternative to disposable tampons and pads
- easy-to-use, practical, and comfortable. It needs to be emptied only two to four times a day and can be used overnight
- safe since it is not conducive to dampness, outbreaks of vaginal candidiasis, cystitis or toxic shock syndrome. In fact, TSS has not been linked to the use of menstrual cups
- suitable to be worn during sports and other physical activities
- easy to clean and disinfect between periods by boiling briefly in water or washing
- designed for women of all ages and sizes
- also designed for women who have not yet engaged in sexual intercourse as well as those who use an IUD or contraceptive ring. However, if you are planning on using Lunette together with an IUD, we recommend discussing it with your doctor
- enables you to monitor your flow by providing measuring lines on the inside of the cup (5 ml and 13.5 ml in size 1, 7.5 ml and 15 ml in size 2). The lining of the cup is totally smooth and the tab is flat, making cleaning very easy
- not disruptive to the natural lubricating ability of the vagina, nor does it dry out the vaginal mucus membrane
Initially I recommend wearing a panty liner with the cup until you become used to positioning it correctly. At Amcal, we stock both the JuJu cups and the Diva Cups. If you have any questions regarding these, please feel free to come in and chat to me about them.